October 1, 2008

October 1st, 2008 blramo12

Sunlight! Oh good grief (as I steal Charlie Brown’s old saying), it seems like it’s been rainy and wet all week, and while there are still some grey wisps of clouds outside, I can also see blue sky and plenty of good sunlight pouring in. I’ve discovered somewhere along the past eighteen years that a little bit of sunlight really brightens up my day (literally and figuratively) so despite the fact that I have all my classes today, and a good deal of homework I ought to be doing, I’m feeling more or less ready to tackle whatever the Holy Cross academic departments care to throw at me.

Now excuse me as I slip into geek mode for a paragraph.

Today at noon I went down to a seminar that the biology program holds weekly, in which a speaker from outside comes and talks about things that seem pretty cool. The speaker was Kristin Lewis from Rowland Institute at Harvard University, and her lecture was about plant parasites. I must admit, a lot of things flew over my head, in part because I am a mere first-year and big fancy words confuse me. However, the parts that I did grasp were pretty cool. Like, she talked about doing experiments where green tea has a chemical in it called a catechin, and that chemical helps to keep plant parasites from growing on other plants. I totally have to tell my green tea obsessed friends that they’re drinking a type of parasite repellent now.

Beyond that, life has been good. I’m going home on Saturday for the first time since I got here, and I’m pretty excited about that. As nice as Holy Cross is, there really is no place like home.

I’d probably keep rambling (and more than likely slip into my geeky self once again) but I’ve got to run to Montserrat now. Until next time!