November 6, 2008

November 6th, 2008 blramo12

In the time I have had a lull in blog posts, we’ve elected a new president, celebrated Halloween, and I have survived both my advising appointments with all appendages still attached.

First thing I’m going to ramble about is the election. On Tuesday night the college republicans and democrats hosted a party at Crossroads to watch the election on a projector. Me and my friend Gordon went down there for two minutes, namely so I could get fries. Anyways, that place was packed. It was so loud, and honestly, I don’t think anyone was listening to the poor performer playing his guitar next to the projector screen. After getting my fries (I think I’m getting the freshman fifteen…but oh well), the two of us went down to Mulledy to watch the election with a mutual friend. Fun fact, but Mulledy is the largest dorm on campus. So obviously, when it turned out that Obama won the election (yay!), the hallway got pretty loud. It was exciting. Whoo hoo!

And here’s my ramble about advising appointments. The first one wasn’t actually with my advisor, but with my Montserrat professor. She wanted to meet with everyone in the class individually. As it turns out, I scheduled my appointment for a Thursday, which was not a very good idea at all, considering that Thursday is my errand day. I was in the middle of doing laundry, when it suddenly occurred to me that I had to meet Professor Ziegler in a few minutes. Panicked, I left the laundry room and began running to Fenwick. I was still a little late, but oh well. She mentioned that I should have brought a pen and paper to take notes, but I remembered most of what she said anyways. From what I got out of it, she said that the class as a whole should try and see what she’s thinking about teaching us, that we should all be looking for internal growth, and that while I’m smart, I need to stop acting like I don’t know what I’m doing. It was fair advice, and I’m glad I went.

My advising appointment with my advisor went in a similar fashion. I didn’t really panic this time though. Professor Levandosky helped me count out the core requirements and figured out if I’d be able to have the time to take the elective that I want next semester. See, I’m starting to doubt my sanity right about now, considering that with my one free spot not taken up by requirements for my major, I want to take multivariable calculus. I used to tell my high school calculus teacher that I hated calculus everyday. And now…when I don’t really need it at all, I want to keep taking it. Do you understand why? No? Good, because I have no idea why either.

Halloween was nice, and I saw some pretty creative costumes walking around. I wish I had taken some pictures, but I couldn’t seem to find my camera anywhere. Oh well, I’ll run into it eventually.

Happy November, and good luck to you guys applying early!