September 20, 2008

September 20th, 2008 blramo12

I survived my first 28 days at Holy Cross.

It was a lot easier than I thought. Being the absent-minded, not-klutzy-just-uncoordinated person that I am, I imagined life on the Hill — with its rigorous workload, too many stairs, and too many inter-connected buildings — would be a far greater challenge than it turned out to be. 

For example, after a week or so of classes, I finally figured out how to exit the science complex without having to retrace my steps back to where I entered. As the science complex is actually three buildings smooshed together into what I consider one gigantic maze of stairs, classrooms, and laboratories, it can get pretty confusing, especially when all you want to do is go to the dining hall (Kimball) and eat.

One of the first times I was there on my own was for my advising appointment, which happened to be on the fourth floor of the middle building of the complex, called Swords. How I got there on my own is a mystery in itself, but when I was done and made my way back to the main stairwell, I realized I had no idea where to go from there. Suffice to say, I wandered around a bit, ran into people I know (including my roommate, who also had no idea how to get out) and luckily ran into a professor who politely and patiently answered my panicked question on how to get out of that monstrous maze.

If I didn’t know better, I’d think he was amused by the frantic freshman.

At any rate, I can now exit the complex in two ways, although there are many more yet to be explored. The first way is in the general direction of my dorm, and the other is in the general direction of the dining hall. Now that I’ve found the essential exits, I suppose I better get looking for some new ones.

With new nooks and crannies popping out at me every which way, how could I possibly resist looking for more?